The shipbuilders Simons and Lobnitz were based in Renfrew. William Simons and Company had begun business elsewhere but settled in Renfrew in 1860. During World War II the rival shipbuilding firm Lobnitz, apart from shipbuilding, designed and built Mulberry Harbours which were used to offload cargo on a beach during the Allied invasion of Normandy. Simons-Lobnitz Ltd was established in 1959 when G & J Weir Holdings Ltd, pump manufacturers, Glasgow, took over Lobnitz & Co Ltd, shipbuilders, Renfrew, Scotland, and merged it with William Simons & Co Ltd, ship and dredger builders, Renfrew, Scotland, which had been acquired by G & J Weir Ltd in 1957. Simons and Lobnitz were famous for building sand dredgers. The Renfrew ship yards closed in the early 1960s.
Source: Wikipedia (see link above)