Feedback

Anything wrong or missing on this page? Please let us know!

Please don't use this for job-applications or promoting your company: we will delete your messages

Name and/or email are *not* required.

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.

Cammell Laird Shipyard

Location

Canmpbeltown Road
Merseyside
Birkenhead
CH419BP
United Kingdom

Contact

Page review

Status: 
Active

Last updated

4 years 48 weeks ago

About

Founding of the business The Company was founded by William Laird, who had established the Birkenhead Iron Works in 1824, when he was joined by his son, John Laird in 1828: their first ship was an iron barge.[1] John realised that the techniques of making boilers could be applied to making ships. The company soon became pre-eminent in the manufacture of iron ships and made major advances in propulsion. In 1903 the businesses of Messrs. Cammell and Laird merged to create a company at the forefront of shipbuilding.[2] Johnson Cammell & Co. had been founded by Charles Cammell and Henry and Thomas Johnson: it made, amongst many other metal products, iron wheels and rails for Britain's railways and was based in Sheffield.[2] In 1929, the railway rolling stock business of Cammell Laird was spun off and merged to become Metropolitan-Cammell Carriage and Wagon Company Ltd. Between 1829 and 1947, over 1,100 vessels of all kinds were launched from the Cammell Laird slipways into the River Mersey. Among the many famous ships made by the companies were the world's first steel ship, the Ma Roberts, built in 1858 for Dr. Livingstone's Zambezi expedition, CSS Alabama that was built in 1862 for the Confederate States of America, HMS Caroline (1914) that holds the record fastest build time of any significant warship (nine months from her keel being laid till her launch), the first all-welded ship, the Fullagar built in 1920, Cunard's second Mauretania of 1939, the aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal (1937) and the largest vessel, so far, to have been built for the Royal Navy HMS Ark Royal (1950). In 1898, Cammell provided the half inch armor plate used to fabricate the four Fowler Armoured Road Trains built during the Second Anglo-Boer War. The armoured road train was the first self-propelled, free-roaming, armored military land vehicle ever built, predating the tanks of World War One by nearly two decades.

Equipment built

Name Type Built Power Volume
Fraser Titan TSHD 1969 4741 kW 3420 m³
Geopotes 12 TSHD 1969 4741 kW 3420 m³
Geopotes 12 tshd TSHD 1969 4741 kW 3420 m³
Transmundum I TSHD 1969 4741 kW 3420 m³
Transmundum II TSHD 1969 4741 kW 3420 m³
Wirral HB 1924 1237 m³

Companies

We found no companies that are part of this company.

Did we make an error? Please let us know through the Feedback form on the left or the Contact Form.

Buy & Sell items

This company hasn't added anything in the Buy & Sell module

Files

No files available

Images

220px-cammell_laird_advertisement_brasseys_1915